Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 11: Egg and Sausage Souffle

Confession: I am writing this at 9:45pm after going to a wine tasting with my husband at 4pm and dinner with all my cousins at 5pm where we proceeded to drink 6 bottles of wine between the 10 of us. I should have been cut off after the wine tasting. Therefore, I take no responsibility for any spelling or grammar errors. Tonight I am not a former English teacher; I am a girl who was over served and is very tipsy :)

This recipe is a leave it overnight recipe, so the kids and I actually made it yesterday around 4pm and ate it this morning for breakfast. It is my Aunt Caryn's recipe and has been a Christmas Eve staple at my house for the last 10 years.

Egg and Sausage Souffle
1pkg Bob Evans Pork Sausage Roll
7-8 pieces of white bread, cubed
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
salt/pepper to taste
2 cups Milk
1/2 teas dry mustard
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1) Brown sausage until no longer pink, drain
2) Saute green pepper and onion
3) Combine milk, eggs, cheese, mustard and bread together and mix well
4) Add in sausage and veggies. Mix well
5)Pour into 9X13 glass pan and let sit covered overnight(at least 12 hrs)
6) Take out of fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes

Kitchen Play by Play: This was completed in less than 10 minutes. I use frozen veggies which would kill my Aunt Caryn to know, but personally, I cannot tell the difference. The kids helped with all the measuring, and Austin especially loved putting all the bread in the bowl and watching it soak up all the liquid. I took it out at 7:45 am this morning and let it sit for 1/2 hour. It was perfectly cooked and hot after 35 minutes. It stuck a little to the bottom of the pan which I don't remember happening before, but oh well. Next time I'll PAM the 9x13 before pouring the casserole in. We ate it with leftover Monkey Bread.

The Verdict:
Nicole: I don't really do eggs, so for me this is never a huge hit. It tastes fine, but it's just not my thing. I give it a 3.

Paul: " It's good. Never disappoints." He gives it a 4.

Austin: After the first bite, he gave it a 5. However, then he told me he was done and did not want anymore. I'm not exactly sure if this is because he didn't like it or because he had already eaten his weight in Monkey Bread and was full. We'll try again tomorrow morning.

Peyton: No way, Jose! Pretending as if it didn't exist. She ate a Greek yogurt instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment