Monday, January 16, 2012

Day13: Calzones

This is from a kids' recipe book I forgot I had called The Magic Kitchen Cookbook by Disney. I'm not a huge fan of the book because a large majority of the recipes are not even really recipes. It's a lot of "how to make a turkey sandwich" kind of recipes. But, my kids love pizza, and I thought they would have fun making their own calzones.

The kids and I are off to Texas tomorrow to visit my dad and Angie for a week. There may be one or two posts if we decide to cook at home, but most likely we will be on a break next week. We will be eating BBQ, amazing NY pizza, Tappy's yogurt, the best guacamole and frozen pomegranate margaritas on the planet, and all of our other Dallas favorites.

Cheesy Calzones
3 oz Canadian style Bacon
13.8oz pkg Refrigerated Pizza Dough
1/3 cup pizza sauce
1 cup shredded Mozzarella
1 Tbs skim milk
1 Tbs Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1) Dice Canadian bacon(about 3/4 cup)
2) Unroll pizza dough and divide into 6 rectangles
3) Fill each calzone with pizza sauce, mozz cheese, and Canadian bacon and fold one side on top of the other side
4) Brush each calzone with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan
5) Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes
6) Serve with warm pizza sauce

Kitchen Play by Play: Extremely easy. The worst part for us was the attempt at folding over the dough and sealing the calzones. They did not exactly come out as triangles, but I hoped they would stay taste the same regardless of their shape. We popped them in the oven for the full 14 minutes, and they came out perfectly.

The Verdict:
Nicole: I'm pretty sure I have never met a pizza that I didn't like, and this recipe was no exception. It was very good. I'm most excited about the flexibility of this recipe. I can add veggies, pepperoni, etc to make it different each time. I give it a 4.

Paul: " When you get a bite with sauce, cheese and ham, there is a ton of flavor." He ate two. He gives it a 4.

Austin: Ate all but the end crusts. He said they were too crunchy. He ate the entire middle portion though. He gives it a 4.

Peyton: Ate it ALL! Literally every last bite. She took down an entire calzone by herself and a large portion of green beans. Based on this, I'll be making it once a week :) She would give it a million, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment