Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 14: Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast

We're back! We had an amazing time in Texas. We went to zoos, the rodeo, Bonkers(a massive play area), the park, the children's musuem, the Cowboy's stadium and ate until our tummies hurt. We even cooked while we were there, so look for that blog soon.

Tonight though we needed something quick, easy, and edible for the kids. They were both ready for bed by 4:15 tonight, but Austin was beyond exhausted. He was like Goldie Hawn in Overboard, " Ah ba ba ba." If we had a barrel full of water on our porch, I would have dunked him in it. He was that tired.

Dianna gave me two great children's cookbooks, so I decided to try out a recipe from the Rachel Ray Yum-o Family Cookbook. Since both of my children would lick a shoe if it had peanut butter on it, I figured this would be a guaranteed crowd pleaser. It also was the winner because I actually had all the ingredients in the house. I haven't grocery shopped yet since I got back, and I also had 36 eggs from Costco($3.49) that needed to be used.

PB and J French Toast
8 slices whole grain bread
4 Tbs PB
4Tbs Jelly
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teas vanilla extract
4 Tbs butter

Directions:
1) Make 4 PB and J sandwiches
2) Beat eggs, vanilla and milk together
3) Dip sandwiches into egg mixture and let excess drip off
4) Use 1 Tbs of butter on hot griddle(med heat) per sandwich. Cook sandwiches until golden brown(3-4 minutes per side)
5) Serve with syrup

Kitchen Play by Play: Paul was actually the one who cooked with the kids tonight. He is the french toast master in our house. He made the sandwiches and did not measure out the PB or the jelly, and Peyton helped him measure out the ingredients for the egg mixture. She then helped him stir it. He did not use any butter on our non-stick skillet and only needed to keep the sammies on there for about 2 minutes per side. I made cheesy scrambled eggs to serve with the french toast. We were eating 12 minutes after we started preparation.

The Verdict:
Nicole: It was good. I feel like next time I would put more PB and J on the bread. I wanted it to be more gooey than it was,but,overall, it was tasty. I also feel like it is a better alternative to plain french toast because the kids are getting some protein from the PB. I give it a 3.8.

Paul: He gives it a 3.5. " I like Pb and J. I like french toast, but I don't really like the two together. The jelly with the french toast and the syrup didn't really work out for me."

Austin: Stayed awake for it which is saying a lot given his state of exhuastion. He ate half a sandwich and a few bites of eggs. He said he gives it a 100.

Peyton: Ate the whole thing. She would eat PB and J for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let her so I'm not surprised she loved it. She would give it a 100 too, I think.

** I do think I am a fan of this cookbook. Look for more recipes this week coming from good ol' Rachel Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment