Sunday, January 8, 2012

Monte Cristo Loaf

Tonight, I went into my recipe box for one of my guilty pleasure recipes. When I was younger, I would always choose a monte cristo sandwich if we were eating at a greasy diner or breakfast joint. It was basically a ham, turkey and cheese sandwich but instead of bread it was french toast. Then they added strawberry jelly and deep fried it to get it all ooeey and gooeey. It was sprinkled with powdered sugar. It was to die for. I mean, really, what was not to like? I can almost guarantee that consuming that entire sandwich, which I did, was probably three days worth of calories and fat, but I was like 12 so I didn't give a shit. Now, however, I would have a really hard time ordering this sandwich because I know that I have no self control and would end up eating the whole thing and hating myself for it later.

So, when my mom made me this "less terrible for you" version, I was crazy excited. It is super easy and totally satisfies my craving for the sandwich. The reason I added it to this challenge is because, though I have tried on numerous occasions to give it to him, Austin has never touched a piece of turkey or ham in his life, and I wanted to see if I could trick him into eating it with this yummy recipe.

Side Note: This is great for entertaining. I have served it to guests several times. I have made it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's great with some scrambled eggs and some fresh fruit!

Monte Cristo Loaf
2 8ox pkgs crescent rolls, rolled out into 4 rectangles
6 oz deli honey turkey, sliced thin
6oz deli honey ham, sliced thin
60z Munster cheese, sliced
2Tbs butter, melted
2 Tbs honey
1/2 cup red raspberry preserves or any jelly
sesame seeds(optional)

Directions:
1) On a non-stick cookie sheet, roll out crescents into 4 rectangles pressing the seams together. Make sure that there is plenty of space between each row so they don't cook into each other.
2) Mix butter and honey together and then brush it over the dough
3) Bake for 8-12 minutes at 375 degrees
4) Let cool for about 10-15 minutes
5) Layers: crescent, turkey, crescent, ham and cheese, crescent, jelly, crescent
6) Brush honey over the top and sprinkle sesame seeds(optional)
7) Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts at 375 degrees

Kitchen Play by Play: The crescents rolled out great, and Austin brushed the honey mixture all over the dough with his cute little basting brush. It was in the oven for the full 12 minutes. Of course, two of my rectangles molded together, but I just slide my rubber spatula between them to break it apart. It was already 5:30pm which is really late for the kids to eat, so I cheated and only waited like 5 minutes for the crescents to cool. To be honest, I really don't understand why you have to let it cool anyway if it is going to go back in the oven. Mom, care to comment? I bought my turkey at Jewel, and it was sliced perfectly, but my ham was from Costco, and it was much thicker of a slice then it should have been. Also, since it was in a bulk package, I had to guesstimate what 6oz was and I think I went a little heavy on the ham. I used strawberry jelly to make it more kid friendly and left out the sesame seeds. It went into the oven for 15 minutes. I sliced a piece for the kids and noticed that the ham row was still a little cold, so I put the rest back into the oven for Paul and I. After 5 minutes, I checked again and it was luke warm, but the top crescent was starting to look a little too brown to keep it in the oven any longer. Lesson learned: no more buying ham from Costco when making this recipe.


The Verdict:

Nicole
: I love it. It's the perfect balance of sweet and salty. I actually like it better than the restaurant version because it is not as heavy or greasy. I feel less guilty about it especially when I grab a second piece! Even though it should have been hotter, I still really enjoyed it. I cannot wait to heat it up for lunch tomorrow!!! I give it a 5.

Paul: Said it was hard to eat because it is tall, but also said that it was sweet and tasty. He gives it a 4.

Austin: Shocked the hell out of me and ate all the lunch meat out of his and Peyton's and didn't touch the crescent or the jelly part. It baffles me, but hey I'm tickled pink. Mission accomplished. He gives it a 4.

Peyton: Ate like 4 bites of the crescent with jelly on it and then proceeded to sneak the meat to Bella, our dog. Based on her fondness of the crescent, I think she'd give it a 3.

1 comment:

  1. It has nothing to do with the ham from Costco. I have made this twice in the last year and on both occasions mine was also cold. Same thing put it back in and the top started to brown to much. My ham was thinly sliced and of course because you know me it was exactly 6oz. I mentioned this to your mother last time and I believe she agreed with me that the same thing happened to her. I also let my ham sit out about an hour so it was not cold. Im really not sure what the solution is. Loving the Blog!XOXO

    ReplyDelete