Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 3: Elmo's Chicken Pot Pie

It's January, so when I planned my menu last week I thought a pot pie sounded like the perfect winter meal. Today it was 60 degrees outside when I left the Dupage Children's Museum which is not exactly a pot pie kind of a day. However, I had all the fresh produce, and I didn't want it to go bad; so even though it was definitely more of a chicken on the grill kind of a day, I made the pot pie.

I have never had a pot pie. I don't do creamy food. But, Peyton is a bread lover, and I thought that I could maybe disquise the five different vegetables in this dish under the biscuit and she would fall for it. Stay tuned to see if she did.

Tonight's blog though is not about how good the food was or how easy the prep was, but how many one liners Austin busted out during today's cooking process. He was on fire.

I am going to try to use the pictures of the recipe rather than type them out tonight. If it's hard to read, please tell me, and I will go back to typing it all out :)

Kitchen Play by Play: The majority of the vegetable mixture was prepared by me since it was a lot of chopping and cooking on the stove top. The kids helped measure out the liquid ingredients, and they helped break up the mushrooms rather then slice them. Austin pulled up his stool, excited to help, took one look at the mushrooms and said, " What are those? They look very icky. I'm not eating them." I told him that they are really good once they are cooked. He shrugged and pulled the mushrooms apart very diligently. Peyton had no problem with the mushrooms and ripped away at them like a champ creating perfect little pieces. The most exciting part of this recipe for me was the long overdue return of the Ziploc Steam Fresh bag. I forgot how much I loved these puppies. I only needed to cook one chicken breast. You cannot beat 3 minutes in the micro to get a perfectly cooked boob. The other two uncooked breasts will go on the grill for lunch tomorrow. Once we began making the biscuit dough the kids were the ring leaders. Austin used his small whisk to stir together all the dry ingredients without any issues. Then came the butter. I had to use 2 tbs to get it to form a crumble. Both kids really enjoyed this part. Austin took this job very seriously and used his little fingers to pinch all the butter into the flour. Peyton really enjoyed putting her little hands into the bowl, grabbing a handful of flour, and sprinkling it all over the top of my arm. She thought she was pretty funny. It kinda was. Once we added the wet ingredients to the bowl, Austin asked to stir. This time though he told me that he had to stop stirring because, "his muscles were not big enough for this job." Where does he come up with this stuff? We did choose to add the Parmesan cheese to the dough to give it some extra flavor, and then the kids took turns plopping the dough onto the filling. Into the oven it went for 30 minutes. Within ten minutes, the smell of pot pie was wafting throughout the house. I was getting pretty excited about my first pot pie experience!


The Verdict
Nicole: The biscuit was crunchy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. A drastic change from last night's dough. The biscuit was also really yummy. Salty and cheesy. The filling was pretty bland. It needed salt and pepper. Some of the larger pieces of potato were not fully cooked, but they were still edible. This was way better then the enchilada pie, but I was really hoping to LOVE it since it was my first ever pot pie. Since the filling lacked flavor, I give it a 3.

Paul: " It was okay. The biscuit had a lot of flavor. The filling had no taste." After three bites without it, he invited his BFF Frank to the meal. Paul gives the meal a 4.

Austin: Upon first bite, he said, " Elmo is a much better cook then Rosita." This was very promising since he hoovered his meal last night and rated it a 5. After his second bite, he said,
"I am not going to eat as much as I did last night." On his third bite, he said, " I'm not eating this. There are vegetables in it. Gross." Paul sprinkled some Parmesan cheese on top of it at this point, and we got two more bites out of him. He gives it a 2.

Peyton: Didn't look at it, touch it, or acknowledge it in any way. She was crazy overtired and just wanted to sit on my lap and scream about every little thing. However, once Paul brought out the cheese, she screamed until he shook some into an empty bowl for her. She then proceeded to spoon grated Parmesan cheese into her mouth. Hey, at least she ate something, right?

** Austin begged for a banana instead which then made Peyton scream for a banana too. So, before I handed them their bananas I told them both that tomorrow night they were going to eat what was on the table for dinner instead of rummaging through the pantry for an alternative. I then asked if they understood and Austin's reply was, " well, are you going to make something good?" The line itself is funny, but without hearing the tone of his voice you cannot get the whole effect. Though we tried to keep a straight face, within seconds we were laughing hysterically. The kid had a point. This recipe book was not exactly cranking out mouthwatering recipes. Tomorrow morning we are going to give a muffin recipe a chance, and, if it fails us too we are tossing this cookbook to the curb.

** This is not cooking related, but too funny not to mention. Both kids were way overtired and fought bedtime tonight. Peyton spent about 5 minutes yelling in her crib(not crying, yelling). Austin kept yelling for me too. I went in to see what the problem was and, he told me that he couldn't fall asleep because "Peyton is yelling, and she is organizing me." Organizing=antagonizing. He is something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment